Thursday, December 8, 2011

Test Kitchen Thursday - Lesson Learned; Make a list

I wanted to try my hand at some quick and easy cookies, candy, fudge but every recipe I had marked for the week I ended up missing ONE little ingredient (that would make a big difference).

Like Almond Tassies - mom used to make these but I never have and so badly want to try them.  Ha! I actually had two cans of almond paste but no heavy cream.  Also, not sure where my mini muffin tins are - grrr. 

OK - so found a great chocolate fudge recipe.  Again, have never made fudge but there is no evaporated milk in the house - there was; however, plenty of sweet and condensed milk.  I contemplated this as an alternative but in the end decided no.

Finally, wanted to try my hand at making our own gumdrops.  Seemed like a great experiment to try with the boys.  I knew I had unflavored gelatin.  Recipe called for 3 envelopes - there were 2 in my cupboard.

Lesson of the story - be prepared with a shopping list or in my case adding them into my normal weekly shopping list! 

So, here are some recipes I'd like to try that I found on Pinterest (if you want to follow me and see the full collection of recipes I've pinned you can click the little red pinterest button on the top right of my blog - it's lots of fun):  enjoy!

sugared pecans
Sugared Pecans found HERE. There is a version of these I've made in the past but find it's best to make when husband is at work and then hide some if I plan to share with others.

Peppermint Bark rice krispie treats

Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats found HERE.  Who knew - I need to add peppermint marshmallows to my grocery list now too!

Gingerbread truffles

Gingerbread Truffles found HERE.

snowman hot cocoa

Snowman Hot Cocoa found HERE.  If you like fun food ideas for kids this is a great website!

Snowflake cupcakes (seriously how beautiful are these)

Snowflake Cupcakes found HERE.  The sight of these makes me smile - but I'm just dreamin' if I think I could make anything so beautiful.  Still that's the best part of Pinterest - looking at beautiful pictures, admiring them, pinning them (for me - knowing there is no way I could create such beauty but boy they're fun to look at!).

So, what new tasty treats are you experimenting with this holiday season?

No comments: